2013 Science Fiction/Action Rated R 109 Minutes
|In Theaters||August 9, 2013|
|On 4K UHD||February 9, 2021|
|On Blu-ray||December 17, 2013|
|On DVD||December 17, 2013|
In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. The people of Earth are desperate to escape the planetís crime and poverty, and they critically need the state-of-the-art medical care available on Elysium ó but some in Elysium will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve their citizensí luxurious lifestyle. The only man with the chance to bring equality to these worlds is Max (Matt Damon), an ordinary guy in desperate need to get to Elysium. With his life hanging in the balance, he reluctantly takes on a dangerous mission ó one that pits him against Elysiumís Secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) and her hard-line forces ó but if he succeeds, he could save not only his own life, but millions of people on Earth as well.
Rated R for strong bloody violence and language throughout.
Box office gross: $93.0 million. View box office history.
Released by Sony Pictures. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- South Africa represents in sci-fi trailer for 'Chappie'
- 'Theory of Everything' trailer proves that love ends in a big bang
- Monday Morning Mixer: 'The Butler' did indeed do it
- Monday Morning Mixer: Mixed bag for 'Elysium' and other newcomers
- New 'Elysium' trailer gives away too much
- 'Ender's Game' trailer is literally out of this world